-->

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Are You F*ing For Real?

So kids, it's another one of those nights where there's literally crap all over the house from your cute-but messy little asses dumping shit everywhere and then just leaving it for mommy today, but I'm writing. Because I want to and because the house is quiet and I'm drinking coffee. And, I'm bemused. Last week, as we were watching The Polar Express together, out of nowhere comes this blaring, highly colorific, sexually exploitive preview for one helluva classy show called Teen Mom on MTV.

So cute, and all the bright colors! Kids love bright colors!
So I decide, I'll write ABC and let them know how I feel about it. Here's what I wrote:

"To Whom It May Concern: While watching The Polar Express on ABC with two of my children, ages 3 and 6, I was extremely disturbed and infuriated at the commercials and previews taking place for Teen Mom on MTV. While I understand that this show was at 7pm, it is a family movie, in fact I think it's even rated G. It's upsetting to me as a parent that while I strive to censor the images they see and what they hear that is outside of their age range, we were taken advantage of by your network as you felt it necessary to plug a very sexually explicit, inappropriate commercial, and targeting it to children and families. Please work at being more mindful of your audience when selecting the commercials you're choosing to play during family movies. Thank you." (By the way, I liked it. I thought it was pretty good.)

Here's what they wrote (today):



Perfect.
"Thank you for your email and sharing your concerns regarding commercial content during THE POLAR EXPRESS. This movie was a presentation of the Disney Channel. Unfortunately WLS-TV Chicago, although part of the Disney family, has no input into or connection with programming and content on the Disney Channel. Visit the link below for contact information for the Disney Channel. http://disney.go.com/guestservices/faq?id=disneychannel18 We hope this is of assistance."


I can totally see how this relates to Polar Express, right? I mean, no doubt. Don't all children who believe in Santa strive to grow up to tattoo their baby on them? I mean, that totally makes sense.

Uh, no. It's not actually of assistance. Because here's what I read when I finally got the Disney site:

"How do I contact Disney Channel regarding programming suggestions or concerns? For questions and concerns on Disney Channel programming, please call our 24-hour Audience Relations line at 1-818-460-7477. You will be able to leave a sixty second message with your question or concern. Also available at this number are instructions for sending an email or postal letter to Disney Channel, information about the Disney Channel website and information on how to show the Show Schedule for Disney Channel programming. Messages will be reviewed on a daily basis. Did this answer your question?"

Really? Are You F*ing For Real? So what I do I do? I'm leaving a message...and sending an email. All for the sake of audience censorship. Someone's got to, right?

1 comment:

  1. I find it very odd that commercials for "Teen Mom" would be aired on a network that is not affiliated with the show in any way. That's like airing commercials for Trojan condoms during Saturday morning cartoons. Kudos to you Lisa for taking the time and effort to go through grapevines e-mailing these idiots. Although I'm not a mom myself, I understand why one would be offended and disgusted over this. You are definitely helping and speaking for many mothers that are trying to instill values into their children despite all the insanity there is in the world in 2011. Keep us posted on Disney's response. If you need assistance writing something more vulgar to them (I mean, they obviously are a fan of it after all, right?), you know who to contact =).

    ReplyDelete